It was a few years ago when I first met with the concept of "couchsurfing", through some friends of a friend. All I got back then was that it meant people from all around the world could 'surf' others' couches from anywhere in the world, without any kind of material obligation. "Interesting" I thought, but that was kind of it. It took me a few years to learn more about this community and to be a part of it, in the end. But once I figured out what it was about, I was hooked.
Before I came to Madrid I was desperately looking for a solution to spend my first days in this completely new city where I didn't know anybody. It seemed almost impossible to be able to find a place to stay without being here. But I found the solution with the help of Couchsurfing. This online community is organized by countries and cities and different themes. So I was lucky enough to find something in a group that was called "Madrid: Renting Rooms" (link). Not only I could secure my first week there, as a member sublet me his room while he was on vacation, but I also got to make friends with his roommate. She was the first person I met in Madrid and it was neither my choice or hers. But somehow, we instantly became friends and I couldn't believe how lucky I was to be in such good company only a week in this new city. It is always good to get to know people who already live in the city you're moving to, so they can give you all the tips and advice you need, as locals. And it's even better when these people turn out to be actual friends.
So my point is you should all check their site, it's a non-profit organization and it has been absolutely great for me. It can help you find places to live, places to go to, things to do, but most importantly, you can meet amazing people from all around the world.
So my point is you should all check their site, it's a non-profit organization and it has been absolutely great for me. It can help you find places to live, places to go to, things to do, but most importantly, you can meet amazing people from all around the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment